Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride created the GAPS Nutritional Program as a way of addressing the many “GAPS conditions” that result from a dysfunctional digestive system. As a medical doctor with Postgraduate Degrees in both Neurology and Human Nutrition, she first used this approach with her son who is now fully recovered from Autism.
I believe GAPS to be the culmination of many different nutritional approaches combined. It not only asks the functional question of “Why” a particular condition exists, but it presents a focused and comprehensive lifestyle approach aimed at “healing and sealing” the gut so that symptoms gradually start to disappear.
What is GAPS™?
GAPS™ stands for Gut and Psychology Syndrome as well as Gut and Physiology Syndrome.
Both are based on the connection between the state of the gut (the digestive system) and the health of the brain and body.
Hippocrates said 2500 years ago: “All disease begins in the gut.” We are rediscovering this truth today. The roots of our health stem from our digestive systems. Therefore, treatment of chronic disease needs to start with the gut and the organisms that live there.
“Recent research has established that around 90% of all cells and genetic material in the human body is our gut flora – myriad of microbes that live inside our digestive systems. In order to be healthy, a person has to have a healthy gut flora dominated by beneficial species of microbes.” – Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride
As stated by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, the list of GAPS CONDITIONS is as follows.
She has divided them into the two groups:
Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS™):
- learning disabilities and mental disorders, such as autism, ADHD/ADD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, addictions, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, epilepsy, eating disorders
- many other conditions which affect the function of the brain, such as mood alterations, memory and cognitive problems, behavioural and social problems, panic attacks, anxiety, involuntary movements, various tics and fits, sensory problems, etc.
Gut and Physiology Syndrome (GAPS™):
- various chronic physical conditions, such as autoimmune conditions (celiac disease, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes type one, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, osteoarthritis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, autoimmune skin problems, etc.), atopic conditions (asthma, eczema, various allergies), food allergy/intolerance (not accepted as an atopic condition by the mainstream), chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, ME, multiple chemical sensitivity, arthritis, PMS and other menstrual problems, many endocrine disorders (thyroid, adrenal and other) and all digestive disorders (such as IBS, gastritis and various colitis)
- other conditions that don’t fit into a diagnostic box, such as digestive problems, fatigue, muscular weakness, cramps and abnormal muscle tone, pain and ache in joints and muscles, skin problems, hormonal abnormalities
When the digestive system is not functioning well, it cannot provide nourishment from the foods we eat, even if those foods are “healthy” foods. It then becomes a place of toxicity, which serves to disrupt the integral mechanisms of brain (psychology) and body (physiology). GAPS conditions are the result.
The basis of the GAPS Nutritional Program is
- detoxification/lifestyle changes
The nutritional protocol allows the digestive system to heal, which, in turn, allows the brain and body to function as nature intended.
Please visit: www.gaps.me to learn more.
GAPS™ and Gut and Psychology Syndrome™ are the trademark and copyright of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. The right of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted by her in accordance with the Copyright, Patent and Designs Act 1988.